Marketing Professor: Only Hufflepuffs Totally Loyal to Harry

Books
October 20, 2008, 04:33 PM

The Telegraph is reporting tonight that a professor in the UK has done a study on readers of the Harry Potter novels, with the findings apparently revealing there are four distinct type of readers. According to the report, Professor Stephen Brown of the Ulster Business School says the groups closely mirror the Houses of Hogwarts, and indicates the breakdown of the groups as follows:

• 'Hufflepuff' readers take the tales at a slow, steady and systematic pace and enjoy re-reading the books over and over.
  • 'Gryffindor' readers are eager and energetic and will devour the latest Potter book in one sitting, but quickly move on to new things.
  • 'Ravenclaws' are subversive and take the stories with a pinch of salt, while 'Slytherin' readers are not fussed about the books.They prefer the films but pretend to have read the books when it suits them.

Speaking about potential sales and continuing interest in Harry Potter now that the seventh and final book in the series has been published, Professor Brown said "It is an interesting time in the development of the Potter brand because a lot of people have moved on. It will only be people who revel in his world who will continue with their admiration of the brand," he forecast.

He also noted that "Only the Hufflepuffs are totally loyal to Harry, the Gryffindors are already moving on to other things, the Slytherins never really liked him anyway and the Ravenclaws are too busy writing their own fan fiction or posting spoof videos on YouTube."

Finally, Professor Brown said that the Harry Potter novels by J.K. Rowling do not have staying power, and noted "It could come back into fashion but I think it could be like many fads and just fade away and people will look back and say 'Why did we ever read this stuff?' "

No word if Professor Brown has ever visited a Harry Potter fan site while doing the research.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Dvarghippogriff

Wow… That really hurts.
I’m actually crying. >.<

When someone that doesn’t even know you exist tell you that you don’t have time for Harry Potter when you actually need to spend more time in the world of HP. Because when you don’t spend enough time doing that, you dont’t feel good. And when someone says that such a huge part of your life is going to “fade away” and die, when that is your biggest fear. It hurts.

Posted by Dvarghippogriff on October 22, 2008, 08:49 PM report to moderator
scottishGirl

i’d say im a hufflepuff reader as i dont race through the books and read them over but im becoming kinda gryffindor as im not as addicted to HP as i once was now the series is over and we have to wait so long for the movies.

Posted by scottishGirl on October 22, 2008, 08:58 PM report to moderator
dobbyrox I’m a Ravenclaw but i never “take the stories with a pinch of salt”. I usually read them in one sitting and keep on re-reading them. Huh… I guess, according to this, i’m a Huffindor…or Gryffinpuff…. heeheee = } oh well
Posted by dobbyrox on October 22, 2008, 10:03 PM report to moderator
Fatima Rizvi

i’m a gryffinpuff! (that sounds better than huffledor)
but yeah, HP will never go out of style, it’s almost already a classic!

Posted by Fatima Rizvi on October 22, 2008, 10:46 PM report to moderator
Albusrocks

I’m a Gryffindor, but still a die hard HP fan. You know, the Potter > Cullen thing. Don’t lynch me. :)

Posted by Albusrocks on October 22, 2008, 10:57 PM report to moderator
roseweasly

I new it! I am offically a hufflepuff! i have read some of them more than 20 times! i will never give up on HP. i think the only part this guy got wrong was the whole fad part other then that im pretty good with it all.

Posted by roseweasly on October 22, 2008, 11:53 PM report to moderator
anne

well then im a “Hufflepuff reader”!!! i love reding harry potter and read it rather slow so i dont miss any important details! and i love re-reading them!!

Posted by anne on October 23, 2008, 01:32 AM report to moderator
I'mnamingmychildGinevra

I think that she doesn not really know much about the majority of Potter fans and their passion if she thinks it’s a fad-type of deal. That sort of assessment really kind of annoys me. Plus, I’m a little insulted by that quick Gryffindor analysis. Potter is my life and I am a proud Gryffindor! Plus, I totally agree with Mimblewimble on page one.

‚ô•Wrock on, everyone!

Posted by I'mnamingmychildGinevra on October 23, 2008, 03:32 PM report to moderator
Martha

I think this study is pretty pointless. But according to it I’m definitely a Hufflepuff. How could you not reread the books when they are so deep and multilayered? I discover something new everytime I reread one of the books. It’s impossible to get the full impact of the books in one reading. And I totally disagree with him about HP being a fad. I have spent literally hundreds of hours analysing the books and they have all the characteristics of a literary “classic”. And I was an English major in college so I should know, lol. The HP books are so much more deep and complex than people give them credit for. And like with all “classics” people have a million different interpretations of them and there have been hundreds of books written about HP, analysing it, so I think that that’s already a good sign that it’s more than a fad. There are even college classes teaching it which obviously wouldn’t be the case if there weren’t serious thoughtful issues to discuss about it since that’s what school classes are for, serious in depth discussions. I would seriously not be at all surprised if people were still reading HP and obssessing over it a hundred years from now. I mean obviously as time goes by and there are no new books in the series (unless Rowling does decide to someday write sequels or prequels which wouldn’t surprise me at all) the excitement over HP will lessen somewhat. But there will always be fan fiction, fan art, fan films (check out “The Potter Prophecy”-it’s an amazingly high quality fan film which can be found on myspace), wizard rock etc. Oh yeah, and a theme park so there will always be something to feed the HP addiction. Besides, dividing people into categories is stupid and I think it is in the books too. People obviously have qualities of more than one house so why divide people at all? It only leads to unfair prejudices and hateful feuds. I mean think about all the characters in the books who decided to dislike someone else simply because they were in a different house (the whole Slytherin/Gryffindor feud for example) instead of getting to know them and then deciding to dislike them for actual logical reasons. And many of the main characters in the series could easily have been put in multiple houses. Just to use one example, Snape. Snape was cunning, ambitious, brave, highly intelligent and talented, loyal, hard working etc. so he could have been put into any of the houses and it would have made sense, although I admit I have a hard time imagining him as a Hufflepuff (I wonder if anyone has ever written a fan fic where Snape is a Hufflepuff, lol). Anyway, my point is that you can’t define someone based on two or three traits, that’s just wrong and unfair. And obviously the Sorting Hat sometimes makes mistakes anyway-how did the complete coward Peter ever become a Gryffindor for example? And why wasn’t Dumbledore in Slytherin when what we learn about him in DH shows that he’s the perfect epitome of a Slytherin? Oh, right cause the good guys all have to be Gryffindors, don’t they? Why can’t there be a single entirely positive portrayal of a Slytherin in the whole series? That kind of bugs me. Anyway, I’ll shut up now and end this conversation by saying that I really hope that someday Rowling tells us that Albus Severus Potter is a Slytherin. That would make me happy and really show that Harry and company have gotten over their anti-Slytherin prejudice since Harry couldn’t possibly hate his own son, could he? And besides with the initials ASP, aren’t you pretty much destined to be in the house with a snake as its mascot? I mean names in the books are rarely coincidental so…

Posted by Martha on October 23, 2008, 05:03 PM report to moderator
IndigoMisfit

Haha..that was a funny article. Thanks sue!

Posted by IndigoMisfit on October 23, 2008, 05:21 PM report to moderator
James

Everyone should email him and share your thoughts, I did:

sfx.brown@ulster.ac.uk

What I wrote (I don’t mean to hurt his feelings but give me a break?!):

Professor Brown,

No offense, (because I’m sure you thought you were producing something constructive) – but your Harry Potter reader “research” is a joke and you should stop embarrassing yourself with it. The global Harry Potter fan community is unprecedented and for an “expert” to attempt to classify a literary phenomenon like that, and to predict that it will “fade away”, is just humiliating for you.

Posted by James on October 23, 2008, 07:47 PM report to moderator
Joanna

This guy is a moron. To call a worldwide phenomenon like HP a ‘fad’ just shows how out of touch with the public this berk really is. Calling Harry Potter a ‘fad’ with ‘no staying power’ is the same as the morons who called Snow White Disney’s folly. This man will eat his words. People bash Potter because it is fashionable to. These books are immortal and will NEVER die.

Posted by Joanna on October 23, 2008, 09:31 PM report to moderator
People can be annoying

I’m a Gryffindor, how he descibed it. I’ve read the books once, well the last two I will reread when the movies come out for the sake of comparison. I have TOTTALLY moved on. I’ve found books that are waaaayyyy better than Harry Potter. (One was written by a 13 year old!) I still love Harry, but have the ability to move on.
I’m probably going to be killed if someone reads this, but it must be said. I agree with this dude. Harry Potter will become less popular. I don’t think it will all the way fade away, but it will be like Nancy Drew. A classic book that future kids will read and love, but it wont be as huge of a deal as it is now. That’s what I personally think.
I think I will laugh if/when Harry Potter loses it’s popularity.
Those who say they will make their kids read them….What would you say if your child told you they hated Harry Potter? You cannot force a child to read something they don’t like….

Posted by People can be annoying on October 23, 2008, 10:47 PM report to moderator
Kosmo

@People can be annoying. Don’t worry, not out to kill you. Of course it won’t be as popular as the moment it was published. But by prediciting people will say “Why did we ever read this?”, Professor Brown is inserting his opinion that the series has little intrinsic value and saying people are being fooled by worthless books but will come to their senses about how worthless the books are. That is a lot different than just saying the books will be less popular.

Posted by Kosmo on October 23, 2008, 11:01 PM report to moderator
stan shunpike

he probably never looked at this site, or other fansites. i could say i’ve been any of those except a slytherin.
and the last bit about harry potter being a fad is just lame. :/

Posted by stan shunpike on October 23, 2008, 11:45 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"...but Miss Hermione Granger knew my secret ambition is to rid the world of evil and market my own range of hair-care potions -- good girl! In fact" -- he flipped her paper over -- "full marks! Where is Miss Hermione Granger?"