Marketing Professor: Only Hufflepuffs Totally Loyal to Harry

Books
October 20, 2008, 04:33 PM

The Telegraph is reporting tonight that a professor in the UK has done a study on readers of the Harry Potter novels, with the findings apparently revealing there are four distinct type of readers. According to the report, Professor Stephen Brown of the Ulster Business School says the groups closely mirror the Houses of Hogwarts, and indicates the breakdown of the groups as follows:

• 'Hufflepuff' readers take the tales at a slow, steady and systematic pace and enjoy re-reading the books over and over.
  • 'Gryffindor' readers are eager and energetic and will devour the latest Potter book in one sitting, but quickly move on to new things.
  • 'Ravenclaws' are subversive and take the stories with a pinch of salt, while 'Slytherin' readers are not fussed about the books.They prefer the films but pretend to have read the books when it suits them.

Speaking about potential sales and continuing interest in Harry Potter now that the seventh and final book in the series has been published, Professor Brown said "It is an interesting time in the development of the Potter brand because a lot of people have moved on. It will only be people who revel in his world who will continue with their admiration of the brand," he forecast.

He also noted that "Only the Hufflepuffs are totally loyal to Harry, the Gryffindors are already moving on to other things, the Slytherins never really liked him anyway and the Ravenclaws are too busy writing their own fan fiction or posting spoof videos on YouTube."

Finally, Professor Brown said that the Harry Potter novels by J.K. Rowling do not have staying power, and noted "It could come back into fashion but I think it could be like many fads and just fade away and people will look back and say 'Why did we ever read this stuff?' "

No word if Professor Brown has ever visited a Harry Potter fan site while doing the research.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Jas i am a hybrid! i finish the books in one sitting but i enjoy re-reading them time and time again. what was that? “huffledor”? i agree, i am a huffledor. who the heck is that guy again? pfft, obviously he is not a big fan.
Posted by Jas on October 21, 2008, 09:32 PM report to moderator
Confused

According to that, I am a Gryffindor/Hufflepuff hybrid READER, but I am very much a Ravenclaw. So dude, do another study ‘cause this one was inaccurate. I’ve never been into writing or reading fan fiction and I believe that Harry Potter is too good for spoof videos although I’ve made several Lord of the Rings ones…

Posted by Confused on October 21, 2008, 09:42 PM report to moderator
FreeSteveVanderArk

Total Gryffyidor here. I have read the books, alot, but its time to move on to other and yes, better works. I have to say the attitude of so many that the make the books and JKR as infallible is a bit off putting. I love the potter series, but they are not at rich as Gaiman, Pratchett, or OSCard. The 5th film was a disappointment and I am hoping the reason they delayed HBP film was to make it better. Early reviews of the pre-screen were disappointing at best. Still JKR is a better writer than Meyer. HP is Tons better than Twilight.

Posted by FreeSteveVanderArk on October 21, 2008, 09:43 PM report to moderator
13_lucky_charms

I love all the people saying they’re Hufflepuff when they’re just lying to sound loyal (5 buck bet they’re the same people who said they were Slytherin when it was cool)

Well, I’m a Ravenclaw and proud of it. So what if I like to write fanfics? That doesn’t mean I’m out of the fandom or anything. Infact that’s getting more involved then just reading the books! (And I still read the books, but I mean jeeez)

Posted by 13_lucky_charms on October 21, 2008, 09:45 PM report to moderator
Taylor

wrong

Posted by Taylor on October 21, 2008, 09:48 PM report to moderator
hptwilighter

You WOULD post about that, Sue. Lol. Does that make me a Hufflepuff? Because I reread the books all the time.

Posted by hptwilighter on October 21, 2008, 10:14 PM report to moderator
cat

im so a Huffelpuff reader! yay

Posted by cat on October 21, 2008, 10:50 PM report to moderator
Sam Harris

LOL sue, im not surprised you posted this
im a Gryffindor, like i love reading the book very fast, but i will read the books over and over again, and in that sense I am a hufflepuff

Posted by Sam Harris on October 21, 2008, 10:58 PM report to moderator
Hermione Weasley

Proud to be a Hufflepuff!!

Posted by Hermione Weasley on October 21, 2008, 11:24 PM report to moderator
Tonks

This dude’s a loser. He’s like Laura Mallory and the guy who brilliantly said that Harry Potter is addicting. Harry Potter is a classic!! I’ve read SS 16 times CS 3 times PA 19 times GF 14 times OP 15 times HBP 13 times and DH 3 times. Not kidding, we are all completely dedicated fans, we will NEVER desert Harry… ever!

Posted by Tonks on October 21, 2008, 11:46 PM report to moderator
H

I’ll admit, there is one spoof that I love: Potter Puppet Pals! But they’re made out of love for the series, plus they’re hilarious, so I think I’m okay.

Posted by H on October 22, 2008, 12:33 AM report to moderator
Old Mr Toad

I’ve lost count of the number of re-reads I’ve done. Do I enjoy other reads, sure. But Harry has had a profound impact on me. It’s a lasting effect Prof. Brown. I doubt it will fade.

OMT

Posted by Old Mr Toad on October 22, 2008, 01:19 AM report to moderator
jake

Huffledor on that story! I read book six the day it came out 13 hours straight and i’ve read SS/PS 24 times!

Posted by jake on October 22, 2008, 01:55 AM report to moderator
Younger Granger

I don’t think it will EVER be a distasteful thing for a person to read a Harry Potter book. As for the different groups, I always read the new books all in one sitting, and I have re-read them so many times I can’t even begin to try to count.

Posted by Younger Granger on October 22, 2008, 02:04 AM report to moderator
herpothefoul

hmmm…
i guess im a gryffindor reader. which akes my skin crawl, as i am a ravenclaw through and through and think gryffindor are just pompey show-offs!!!!!!!!

Posted by herpothefoul on October 22, 2008, 02:14 AM report to moderator

The Potters smiled and waved at Harry and he stared hungrily back at them, his hands pressed flat against the glass as though he was hoping to fall right through it and reach them. He had a powerful kind of ache inside him, half joy, half terrible sadness